By Savanah Mandeville • Photos by Mandy Edmonson
Due to COVID-19 and social distancing, more of us than ever may be spending the holidays at home rather than traveling to see family. Why not lift your spirits by bringing the holidays to you with fun, festive home decorating?
We visited with Marilyn Tandy from Countryside in the City to learn her tips for creative, cohesive and visually stunning Christmas decor. For over 30 years, Countryside in the City has been Joplin’s go-to shop for floral arrangements for all occasions, but it’s the Christmas season when Marilyn and her husband, Bill, and their team of expert floral designers really go all out. Countryside is a one-stop shop for Christmas flower arrangements, garlands, wreaths, tree trimmings and all the decor your heart desires.
These are six of this year’s top Christmas decorating trends:
- Festive Florals. The key to a festive holiday table is a fabulous centerpiece. Your centerpiece anchors the table and sets the tone for the rest of your accents. The designers at Countryside in the City are experts at floral arrangements of all sizes as well as party decorating. If you can dream it, they can do it!
- Go Green. Greenery is a small way to make a big impact! Flocked garland, glittery garland, ornaments, pinecones, holly — you name it! Countryside in the City can provide real and faux garland to adorn your entryways, mantelpieces, tabletops and more.
- Rustic Charm. There’s something so inviting about a warm cabin on a cold winter day. Winter was made for rustic decor, plaid flannel, wooden accents, burlap touches, and, of course, a little red pickup truck!
- Classic Neutrals. Who says Christmas has to be red and green? Neutral color palettes have made their way into our hearts — and into our holiday decorating. Think calming beige and crisp white with a smattering of gold and silver and fake snow for an elegant look.
- Cozy and Nostalgic. Do you picture Santa with rosy cheeks and a twinkle in his eye? Vintage-inspired Santa artwork, bright colors, soft cable knits and whimsical toys hearken Christmases of yore.
- Buffalo Check. An enduring favorite this time of year, buffalo check is a new take on traditional Christmas plaid. For a look that’s a little bit modern, a little bit rustic and always classy — you can’t go wrong with buffalo plaid to tie the room together.
No matter your style, budget or goals, the team at Countryside in the City can help you create an inviting holiday atmosphere in your home. They even make house calls! If you are unsure of the aesthetic or size you need for a particular floral arrangement, wreath or garland, a designer will visit your home to discuss ideas and develop a vision to fit your needs.
On the other hand, if you need something highly personalized to fit a specific look, they can deliver a custom creation to fit your exact vision.
Short on time? Countryside in the City has several gorgeous, pre-decorated trees in the store — each one with a different vibe. You can purchase a fully designed tree and have it delivered straight to your door!
The year 2020 has been full of surprises — why not treat yourself and your family to a beautiful holiday season and end this year on a high note? Your friends at Countryside in the City are always happy to help!
Countryside in the City
424 S. Joplin Ave. • Joplin, MO • 417.781.3719
www.countrysideflowers.biz• Facebook: @CountrysideintheCity